Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Encrypting PII on File Servers

From: Christian Beck <beckc () UWOSH EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 09:46:21 -0500

My university has formed a working group to consider protection for administrative data containing PII on shared drives such as file servers. Administrative office personnel routinely manipulate data containing SSNs and other sensitive information in spreadsheets, reports, and other documents. Many times these documents must be shared. I would like to ask this group for your policies and security practices for storing working copies of sensitive data.

Do you have policies or procedures specifying appropriate use of file server PII storage for administrative users? Do you allow administrative users to use file servers to store working copies or shared documents that contain PII? What specific encryption products do you use when connecting Windows or Apple clients to file servers?
Do you use encryption on file servers?
    What type of encryption:  full disk or file/folder?
Do users or user groups share the same encryption key for decrypting and encrypting?
    What recovery method is used if a user key is compromised or lost?
How do you share encrypted files with external entities?
Do you firewall file servers containing sensitive information?
How do you deal with users copying PII data to an external storage?
Do you use identity finder software to locate sensitive data on file servers?

Thank you for your input. I will share the findings of our committee with this group.

Christian Beck