Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

[SECURITY]

From: Nathaniel Hall <educause-lists () NATHANIELHALL COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 20:38:23 -0600

On 03/11/2011 10:27 AM, HOGGATT, ANDY F. wrote:

Has anyone else received any other reports similar to this and has anyone come up with a solution to help remedy the situation? Any and all feedback would be welcome.

Andy Hoggatt

Ozarks Technical Community College

Interim Network Security Systems Administrator

Andy,

In my opinion this is more of a policy issue than a technical one. While the system you are using does allow you to limit the number of devices on a per user basis the idea behind the limit was to prevent users from sharing their credentials and allowing everyone to connect to the network at the same time with the same credentials. It was in no way a perfect solution. I don't believe NAC would even help because the system itself would be authenticated and any traffic would appear to come from the authenticated system.

In my opinion you are already covered from a legal standpoint because you 1) require users to authenticate to the wireless network and 2) are able to relieve the school of any wrongdoing because you are able to trace a connection back to a specific computer. If the user decided to provide others Internet access via their computer then the responsibility is passed to the user providing the access. This is no different than how MOREnet handles complaints. They receive the complaint and pass it to you. You receive the complaint and you would pass it to the person you trace the IP to.

Nathaniel Hall
Former Network Security Systems Administrator at OTC

--
Nathaniel Hall

I am many things, but I am not a laywer, accountant, or agent of the federal, state, or local government.