Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: File Hosting/Sharing Services [dropbox, mobile me, etc.]

From: Alexander Kurt Keller <alkeller () SFSU EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 00:10:33 +0000

I have no direct input on "file hosting/sharing services for medical data", but bear in mind that many zip applications
that support encryption do not encrypt the file names (zip header). the result is that a user can enumerate the file
and directory names within the archive without a password. It is not hard to imagine a situation where the name of the
encrypted file (perhaps containing a patient surname or #), within a particular context, would be in and of itself
sensitive information. If this is unacceptable, TrueCrypt may be a better bet.

Best,
Alex

Alex Keller
Systems Administrator
Academic Technology, San Francisco State University