Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DNS TTL best practice general guidance survey

From: John Ladwig <John.Ladwig () CSU MNSCU EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 13:45:06 -0600

I'd add one more dimension to the considerations; availability/agility.

We've had a case where a campus main web portal went toes up, and we were all set to do a transitional hosting of the
content, but relaized it'd be 24 hours on average before caching nameservers would refresh to use the temporary IP
address, and the original outage would be remediated by that time anyway...

   -jml

"Jacobson, Dick" <dick.jacobson () NDUS EDU> 2011-02-15 13:33 >>>
24 hr