Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Dan Solove on Internet Privacy

From: Tracy Mitrano <tbm3 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 08:54:37 -0500

Although this list is about "security," privacy is the proverbial other side of the coin.  Please join us remotely for
a talk this evening streamed live.  On this issue, there is no one better than Dan Solove!

The Future of Reputation: Gossip, Rumor, and Privacy on the Internet
Thursday, February 3, 8-9:30 pm
Robert Purcell Community Center Auditorium, or go to www.ucpl.cornell.edu<http://www.ucpl.cornell.edu/> for a live
stream

Social media offer unimagined opportunities for personal expression and communication, but there’s a downside.  A trail
of our personal information is preserved and instantly available in a Google search. A permanent chronicle of our
private lives—often dubious and sometimes totally false—follows us, accessible to anyone who cares to look.  Scope and
amplification extend far and wide.

In a world where anyone can spill out their—and others’—most personal secrets to a world-wide audience, how should we
balance privacy and free speech?  How should the law protect people when harmful gossip and rumors are spread about
them on the Internet?