Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: TrueCrypt and Windows Hibernate feature

From: "Bradley, Stephen W. Mr." <bradlesw () MUOHIO EDU>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 15:12:40 -0500

Must be one heck of a tool if it can decrypt anything powered off.

Sent from my iPad

Stephen Bradley
bradlesw () muohio edu

On Dec 10, 2010, at 7:26 PM, "Alexander Kurt Keller" <alkeller () SFSU EDU> wrote:

If the attacker has access to the OS file system, powered on or not, remotely or local, then it is game over.

Moreover this attack is not viable if your OS drive is encrypted and powered down as there would be no way to obtain
a copy of the hiberfil.sys file.  That said, I can see how this would be concerning to folks who are NOT performing
OS disk encryption and using BitLocker or TrueCrypt for external/virtual volumes.

Press release is here:
http://www.lostpassword.com/pdf/pr-101209.pdf

I understand the proposed attack vector against an external/virtual volume that has been encrypted. But I can't wrap
my head around this paragraph from the release:

"The latest enhancements to Passware Kit make instant decryption for powered-off computers possible by analyzing a
single hibernation file....If a computer with a mounted TrueCrypt or BitLocker To Go hard disk has hibernated at
least once, Passware Kit will instantly decrypt the hard disk even if the computer is no longer running."

Are they just saying you could mount the unencrypted OS drive on another computer, grab the hiberfil.sys file and
parse that to obtain the Bitlocker/Truecrypt password for the encrypted external/virtual volume?

Best,
alex

Alex Keller
Systems Administrator
Academic Technology, San Francisco State University