Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Special needs students and passwords

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 07:42:48 +1300

On 1/12/2010, at 6:44 PM, Stewart James wrote:

Hi all,

I have had a question about relaxing password restrictions for special needs students. Some suffer shakiness, memory
loss and other special requirements.

How are other institutes handling access for those students:
·         Where reliably entering  passwords is an issue?
·         Short term memory retention may be an issue?

We handle these sorts of things on a case by case basis depending on the risks and on the exact problems the student
faces.  As others have pointed out there are a wide range of options.

I have not been asked recently about issues like this and I suspect that most disabled users now have their own laptops
which are all set up for them and their special needs.  This combined with wireless coverage in most lecture theatres,
labs and public areas has improved access for disabled folk to the point that it is mostly a non issue.

Russell