Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Malware via RSS?

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 16:36:03 -0400

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 11:08:52 PDT, Eric Case said:

While I am waiting for them to cite their source, I thought I would ask if
anyone here knows of a piece of malware that spreads via RSS.  I know there
has been research in this area, but I do not know of any examples of RSS
feeds spreading malware.  Do you?

I've never seen a case of an RSS *by itself* spreading malware.  However,
it's *way* up there as a major cause of "oooh shiny <click>" issues, as it gets
a lot of links in the user's face that they might not otherwise see.

Of course, presenting a lot of links they might not see otherwise is kind of
the *point* of an RSS feed, so we're not going to get those worms back in
the can.