Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Cisco IOS Firewall CPU resource needs

From: Josh Richard <jrichar4 () D UMN EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 09:55:00 -0500

Hi Gary,

Is the ordering of the IOSFW rules sane?  Do you have an ip any any
established rule?  Did cisco provide a rationale for why the ASA/FWSM
would be better?  Even 20% CPU to me would imply the IOFW inspection
is process switched but Cisco should be able to confirm how the
traffic flow traverses the hardware/software interface on the 7600.
If you email me offline, I can recommend a TAC engineer who had a
strong working knowledge of the ASIC architecture and was helpful.

We run FWSM blades on 6509-VE/SUP 720 10G VSS and given the traffic
rates you have below (500M) would strongly recommend an ASA as the
FWSM has XLATE limitations and an easy to exceed ruleset limit once
the policy is expanded.  In general, we are migrating away from
specialized service modules in our 6Ks (WiSM -> 5508, FWSM -> ASA) to
retain the highest degree of freedom to replace the core eventually
(Nexus 7K?).  That tradeoff analysis is worth considering as the FWSM
is getting long on the tooth.

Regards,

Josh Richard
University of Minnesota Duluth