Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

device security and email using activesync

From: "Smith, Bob" <smithrj () LONGWOOD EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 18:31:32 -0400

In our current setup we only allow the use of a Blackberry device, either university or personally owned, connected to
our BES for integration with our Exchange system.  All devices must conform to the same set of security policies.  This
current setup has served us well, but recently the desire to integrate/sync the now large numbers of iPads on campus
with Exchange has started some research regarding how ActiveSync may play a role in achieving an acceptable level of
security (remote wipe, lockout, PIN, etc.) for this and other devices.

As part of this research, we are now testing various other devices (iPhone, Droid, iPad, etc.) to see what the actual
results are and in doing so I was asked to query this group to see what other institutions are doing or have done with
regard to leveraging ActiveSync for security and access to your email system.

Do you:
-       offer support for all devices or just specific devices and what level of support?
-       allow both institutionally owned and personally owned devices?  Why or why not?
-       require different/same/no security policies for institutionally owned versus personally owned devices?
-       enforce any security policies using ActiveSync or require/encourage the user to manually set them?
-       have any "lessons learned" you would care to share?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Bob Smith
AVP IITS & Information Security Officer
Longwood University