Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: One Card Manager Access to systems

From: Paul Kendall <PKendall () ACCUDATASYSTEMS COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 09:35:01 -0500

Penny:

I expect the manager got this access at the last university simply because no one really knew any better.
Unfortunately, once someone thinks they need this type of access for their job, they tend to get very vocal about it.

I would ask this individual to describe in detail why they need this access. Make them provide technical details and
specifications as to why they need the access versus working through normal change control and SOD channels.

I'd be willing to wager there is NOTHING they really need it for other than the fact that they had it at the last place
they worked and truly believe they need it to do their job.

When I was Global Security Director for a French manufacturing firm as well as CISO for a financial services firm in
Dallas, I NEVER had anything other than user privileges. If I needed something, I worked through the processes we had
in place.

If you'd like to discuss further, email or call me. NO SALES PITCH given! Just throw some ideas around.

Paul
Paul L. Kendall, PhD, CGEIT, CHS-III, DHS-CVI, CISM, CISSP, CSSLP
PCI Qualified Security Assessor
Senior Consultant
Accudata Systems, Inc.