Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: firewall requirements for applications

From: Jason Testart <jatestart () UWATERLOO CA>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 15:51:42 -0400

Another issue is user accountability.  Assuming the password is embedded
in the exe, what logging/controls do you have on *who* is accessing the
data?  The share at least (hopefully) provides some measure of
user-level access control where the exe file itself likely does not (and
if it does, could be more easily defeated).  You need to really
understand what controls are in place on the database itself, because it
is indeed all about the risk.