Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Phishing Links

From: James Farr '05 <jfarr () UTICA EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 09:31:05 -0400

Thank you everyone for the good information.  Looks like many of us are in
the same boat, and we all agree education is very important.  This is a very
brief summary of what I got out of this

Many of the security measures we can put in place to make our systems more
secure will

.         Cause grief for the users, thus causing us grief with little
payback

o    Some things we do will cause unhappiness for the end users.  We need to
make sure the payback is worth the cost.

.         Sending links is an accepted practice from the majority of sites,

o    Therefore users will still be accustomed to clicking on them.

.         Special solutions mostly help the people who would not have fallen
for the phish in the first place.

Education is the key (and educate often)

Certain populations (recently left the University, i.e., grad students who
were employed, graduating seniors, temporary appointments either on the
academic or professional side.) are more at risk because they see
termination of their account as a real possibility.

.         Special populations may need targeted campaigns

I hope I did not miss anything.

IITS will never ask you for your password.  Never email your password to
anyone.

James Farr

Information Security Officer

Instructional Technologist

Utica College

 <mailto:jfarr () utica edu> jfarr () utica edu

315-223-2386