Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Ideas for auditing ID card system

From: Vik Solem <vik.solem () TUFTS EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:34:41 -0400

You may want to urge caution about converting a student ID into a
device which contains a financial account.  Massachusetts laws now
impose some interesting and in some cases cumbersome handling
requirements for any instance (electronic or physical) of a person's
name and financial account number.

The full definition of Personal Information is a resident's first name
and last name or first initial and last name in combination with any 1
or more of the following data elements that relate to such resident:
  (a) Social Security number;

  (b) driver's license number or state-issued identification card
number; or

  (c) financial account number, or credit or debit card number, with
or without any required security code, access code, personal
identification number or password, that would permit access to a
resident's financial account; provided, however, that "Personal
information'' shall not include information that is lawfully obtained
from publicly available information, or from federal, state or local
government records lawfully made available to the general public.

Basically, it's name and SSN, CC, or financial account.

The Mass law is written to be applied to any data for any resident of
Massachusetts, regardless of where the data resides.  I don't know of
any case law indicating inter-state enforcement of such things, but it
might not be fun to be the test case.

-Vik