Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Resources for Securing Copiers or Multi-Function Devices

From: Brad Judy <win-hied () BRADJUDY COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 15:32:34 -0400

I noticed that Yale and UCI also have online information on the topic:

http://security.yale.edu/sysadmin/mfd.html

http://www.oit.uci.edu/security/printercopiersecurity.html

I think the Yale and Texas lists are related (not sure which came first).

My personal view is that the best approach is a general minimum security
standard for all "networked devices" rather than something specific to
printers/copiers.  Media disposal, private data handling, patching,
encryption, minimal services, third-party contracts, etc are not problems
unique to printers/copiers.

Brad Judy

Emory University