Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Essential Services on Windows Server 2008

From: Sherry Horeanopoulos <sah () FSC EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 17:02:20 -0400

We're plowing through a worksheet for PCI compliance on our BlackBoard Transaction system and the BB Sys Admin is
trying to go through all the services that are running (like a good PCI Compliant Sys Admin would do....) to get the
list down to only the necessary stuff (as required by PCI).

Perhaps some/all of you have gone through the default running services on an MS Server 2008 server and have pared down
to the minimum possible services.  If so, could you share the results with us?

(This server is running McAfee, BlackBoard (and IIS)and is being backed up by Commvault - so those processes are
identifiable.)

Thanks for any input you may have.