Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

signed up to google group for spam

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 09:34:00 +1200

Hi

Just a heads up about something I stumbled across personally...

Recently I started getting spam about real estate in Pakistan.  I looked at the headers and they appeared to be coming
from google groups servers so I sent one in to abuse at google.com complaining that someone had apparently signed me up
for this group but the mails continued to come.

I also checked my gmail account to make see if I could see the subscription but nothing.  Then I went back to the email
headers to look at the envelope sender and it was my university email account which I have never used with googlegroups
(so far as I can remember).

So I tried sending email to the unsubscribe address as listed in the headers and that worked and then tried to log in
using my uni email but that failed so I reset the password and got the email to complete the password change. When I
got into the account it was just a bare shell with nothing at all (since I had already unsubscribed from the google
group).

It would appear that somehow someone managed to get an account with my email set up in google groups and then abuse it
to send me spam.   It is conceivable that I did have a google group account for that email address but someone still
managed to get me subscribed to the list with out  my say so.

The other odd thing is that, when I was first investigating, I searched google groups for the offending group but could
not find it.

Russell Fulton
Information Security Officer
The University of Auckland