Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quick Survey - Does everyone do SOME form of "web filtering"??

From: Ozzie Paez <ozpaez () SPRYNET COM>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 21:38:01 -0600

Hey Michael,

Companies that do research face similar issues, i.e. they have policies that
lead to filtering, but researchers often need to access sites that are being
filtered.  My experience is that all of these organizations have a by-pass
process to allow some users to access these sites.  I  also know for a fact
that Federal and State law enforcement agencies do the same.  These policies
need to be coordinated with legal, security and usually Employee Resources
because of the potential sensitivity and exposure to inappropriate/illegal
use and content downloads.  Thus, I have seen policies that require
briefings and sign-offs by management and the end users to ensure that
everyone understands applicable laws, regulations and policies involved.
When it comes to academics, as with researchers, areas such as sites that
offer, display and make available child/under age pornography are one of the
key risk factors because the download and possession of such materials is
against Federal and most state laws.  Thus, getting policies right from the
beginning is a really good idea.  Hope it helps,

Ozzie Paez

SSE/SAIC

303-332-5363