Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Self-Service Solutions - quick survey

From: Matthew Giannetto <MGiannetto () MC3 EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 09:09:40 -0400

Erik,
Regarding question three, we do not allow users to pick their own questions.  It's hard enough for us to come up with a
list of "good" password questions.  I'd recommend you create them.
We decided to require users to register five password questions.  Two would be from "Pool 1", two would be from "Pool
2", and one would be from "Pool 3".  Consider the two biggest threats for password guessing for students would be
parents or friends, we designed it so that...

*         Pool 1 would be something a parent wouldn't usually know (Who played the first concert you attended?)

*         Pool 2 would be something a friend wouldn't usually know (What was the name of your favorite stuffed animal?)

*         Pool 3 would be something neither would usually know (What is your biggest pet peeve?)
To reset a password, a user would have to answer one question from both Pool 1 and Pool 2.
To authenticate to the Help Desk, they'd have to answer their Pool 3 question and validate other information (phone,
address, etc.).
This site was most useful for us: http://goodsecurityquestions.com/
Thanks,

Matt Giannetto