Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: NTFS file access auditing

From: Dexter Caldwell <Dexter.Caldwell () FURMAN EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 17:54:44 -0400

If you're willing to put in some effort, you might be able to download
LogParser from Microsoft and get some use from it.  It's a command-line
tool (essentially uses SQL queries) but can generate graphical report info
too.  Also there are books written on it (see Amazon.com), and you can
also find a few GUIs around the net that help simply what you're trying to
do.  Also, Log Parser can parse a lot more than just Event Logs too- it
can parse things like IIS, Snort IDS, Exchange, etc.

Of course, the obvious solution if you have a SIEM is to see what that
will do with your logs first, but I'm assuming if that was an option you
wouldn't be asking.

Thanks,

Dexter Caldwell
Furman University
3300 Poinsett Hwy

The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
<SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU> writes:
Thanks for the response Mike.  I'll have to do some more testing, but the
tricky part was telling the difference between opening the directory with
Windows Explorer versus a drag-and-drop copy of the file(s) with Windows
Explorer.  Double-clicking the file should trigger an execution audit log
(assuming that has been enabled), but my initial look didn't reveal an
easy
differentiation between opening the folder and copying the file.  I'll
continue to take a deeper look.

Brad Judy

Emory University