Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: attempts sending fake phishing messages to students and/or employees

From: Eric Case <ecase () EMAIL ARIZONA EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 19:31:30 -0700

-----Original Message-----

From: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv

[mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU] On Behalf Of Sam Hooker

Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 2:04 PM

To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU

Subject: Re: [SECURITY] attempts sending fake phishing messages to

students and/or employees

<snip>

Anyway, unless we suss the resistance to actively testing our user

populations for susceptibility to

What about something like:

This is a test of the Phish System.  Your email administrators in voluntary
cooperation with federal, state and local authorities have developed this
message to keep you informed in the event of an actual phish.  If this had
been an actual phish email, you would have been instructed to send your
password to a cybercriminal posing as an administrator or trusted
individual.  Your email administrators reminds you, never give your password
to anyone.  For additional information and cyber-security tips, visit  . . .

-Eric

Eric Case, CISSP

eric (at) ericcase (dot) com

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ericcase