Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability? Or...not so much?

From: "SCHALIP, MICHAEL" <mschalip () CNM EDU>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 18:54:25 -0600

Most document imaging systems store the actual documents/data separately from the metadata - typically, the system just
manages pointers to the images......thus, the database can be secured one way, (typically, username/password) and the
images can be secured another way, (sometimes encrypted)....would it be worth asking the vendor if their system
supports any kind of encryption for the image?

We also didn't assume that all documents were created equal - if a document were for open meeting minutes, no worries.
But, if a document were for closed meeting minutes (sensitive stuff, budgets, etc.), then - we'd take the extra step to
put the additional protections in place, (ie, encrypt - then file in the document imaging system).  Even if someone
within the corporation searched for a restricted document, they might see the result in the search, but they couldn't
get to the document.....

Does it hold that the criticality of the situation and the risk associated with the vulnerability is linked to the
sensitivity of the documents/data at risk?  If a system is "vulnerable", but all they can get to is open meeting
minutes - the protections that are in place may be deemed adequate by the user (*and* the vendor).  Maybe the vendor
never designed, nor intended, the system to protect documents beyond a certain level of sensitivity.....which is why
some vendors have their products "certified" to certain standards, and why others don't bother....

Just some thoughts.....