Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: password vs pass-phrase

From: Eric Case <ecase () EMAIL ARIZONA EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:03:26 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU] On Behalf Of Joel Rosenblatt
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:21 AM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] password vs pass-phrase

<snip>

For my money, two factor authentication, in one form or another, is the
future.

And if one of those factors is a very weak password?  A chain is only . . .

On the complexity topic (right now) there are no rainbow tables
available for any password/phrase longer than 15 characters - I would
just apply the standard
password rules to the words in a pass phrase and make sure that as
least one of them passes.
[Eric Case]

Rainbow table require the hash.  If they got into your server and got the
hashes, you have bigger problems.
-Eric

Eric Case, CISSP
eric (at) ericcase (dot) com