Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: It's all in a Domain Name

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:42:40 -0400

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:05:23 EDT, John Kaftan said:

We are migrating to AD from Novell and are deciding on a domain name.  We
have been reading through Microsoft's KB articles and asking friends what is
the best domain name for Utica College.  One of our goals as a college is to
become a university so our name could change to Utica University or
something simular.  So far I have not found any document that makes it clear
what the implications are in regards to a domain name.  Microsoft seems to
be mostly concerned with making sure the name is unique so we can merge with
another organization easily but I'd like to know if there is a major
security reason to go one way over another.  Here are the options as we see
them.  Our internet facing domain name is Utica.edu.

If you've already deployed utica.edu, stick with it.

The "Separate DNS zones" issue is a red herring - you can either decide to
do split-view DNS, or not (we don't), but the decisions driving that choice
are totally orthogonal to the domain used.

We ended up using <dept>.vt.edu as our main DNS structure, and then parking
the AD address space at <dept>.w2k.vt.edu, mostly because at the time we
deployed AD, the people managing our production DNS weren't thrilled with
the idea of AD's dynamic updating, especially with trying to sync our
off-campus DNS secondaries, which are run by somebody else.

Microsoft does not like it but the only reason I can see is because it is
possible for two companies to have the same domain name and not being able
to merge easily.

This only happens if both companies do something stupid like go down the
.local route.  There was a *reason* why RFC2826 was written:

2826 IAB Technical Comment on the Unique DNS Root. Internet
     Architecture Board. May 2000. (Format: TXT=13400 bytes) (Status:
     INFORMATIONAL)