Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: password vs pass-phrase (was: Are users right in rejecting security advice?)

From: Steven Alexander <alexander.s () MCCD EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 00:45:32 -0700

If we assume the hash isn't compromised, then the passwords don't really have to be nearly as strong stand up to
attack, especially with any sort of lockout or delay.

 I don't think we should wait until they are before we worry about passphrase security.  Attackers may be using better
tools well before we become aware of them.

The last time I looked, the standard password cracking tools were not capable of doing the sort of phrase guessing that
I mentioned, but it would not be hard to create separate word/phrase lists and adapt a program like John the Ripper to
create passphrases based on those lists.  The lists could even be generated by doing a word count on the text of a
sample of current news articles, fiction, etc.  Assuming someone takes the time to modify or create a program to do
basic guessing, phrases like "I like football" would probably fall pretty quickly, much faster than an average brute
force attempt against a 40-bit key.

I think we should encourage people to longer more unusual passphrases, things like "I like to eat purple rhinos on
Tuesdays!"  or "My first dog was a stegosaurus."

-Steven