Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SSL VPN Question

From: Kevin Wilcox <wilcoxkm () APPSTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 17:32:23 -0500

On 5 March 2010 16:47, Jay Graham <jwg+ () pitt edu> wrote:

We use the SSL VPN to allow web access to our library journals and now the
users just can't copy and paste URLs of these journals in e-mail messages
since the URL is different depending if you are on campus versus off campus.
(i.e. through the VPN tunnel).

Jay - can you provide a little detail about this? Not specific URLs,
of course, but I'm curious why the URL for off-campus users coming
through the VPN have to be different from the URLs you provide
on-campus. We use OpenVPN and once you connect, all traffic for the
University is routed over a virtual interface - you're effectively on
the Appalachian network. You can ssh, sftp, browse, telnet or use any
client/server application to or with any machine you are authorised to
access via our network registration system. For instance, I can
connect via the VPN with one of my FreeBSD installs and ssh to an Unix
machine in my office or RDP to my Windows workstation (but no one
else's), or I can have a local OSSEC client report to my department's
OSSEC server. Is this functionality not supported by the Juniper?

kmw

--
Kevin Wilcox
Network Infrastructure and Control Systems