Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: research data security

From: "Bowden, Zeb" <zbowden () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:51:26 -0500

One way that we've [sort of] done this is to follow the NIST guidelines (NIST 800-18 w/ support from 800-53) in
developing an IT Security Plan for our computing environment. We were actually driven to do this by NIH after being
awarded a large contract, however it was something that needed to be done anyway and had a lot of positive
benefits/side-effects. One of those benefits, at least in our case, was clearly defining the controls that we have in
place to protect data of all sorts - but primarily research data. Similar to what Doug said, we tried not to separate
research from enterprise data.

Then if you wanted to take it to the next level to deal with really sensitive data (HIPAA protected data/ePHI for
instance) then you can just build out your controls/plan a little further. There's even a guide for that - NIST 800-66.
Part of what that will entail, at least in my interpretation, is internal and external review of the
controls/protocols. They wouldn't necessarily look at specific cases like an IRB might, but they would ensure that what
you say you're doing to protect the data is sufficient.

I'm not sure if HIPAA is a concern to you or not, but if it is I think http://hipaa.yale.edu/security/ &
http://rtinfo.indiana.edu/aitc/serv-tab.shtml are good examples of organizations that have done this well (there are
probably plenty of other good ones as well). Even if you're not interested in HIPAA I think a lot of the ideas are
applicable to protecting data in general ... or even more generically, to protecting resources.

Zeb Bowden
Associate Director, Core Computational Facility
Virginia Bioinformatics Institute