Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI compliance on a university network (an unlikely occurance)

From: "j.price" <j.price () DOMAIL MARICOPA EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 16:30:41 -0700

Hi Brian,

Just going back through emails re: PCI compliance, and you seem to be
doing a lot of what I will be doing. I passed the fist stage of my
privacy exam and will now be working half time on compliance issues.

I have seen your name here and also when I have done web searches on
data classification. Is there anything you can share on what process you
originally used when you started PCI Compliance? MCCD has so many
different locations that process credit card information that it's hard
to get my head around this.

Does Pima still use TouchNet application for credit card payments? Do
you have all the modules? I remember bringing a bunch of college
cashier's down to Pima a number of years ago to look at your process.

By the way, is Pima planning to do anything for Privacy Day 2010 on
January 28th?

Thanks,
Janet

Basgen, Brian wrote:
 We did our most recent assessment of PCI compliance this past spring. Our goals are:
 (a) to continue to transfer the risk as much as possible to third party providers; and
 (b) where PCI compliance is required, to isolate those networks (e.g. POS devices, etc) as much as possible.

 The key point, as others have noted without cynicism, is that compliance is measured after a breach occurs. It is measured by
people with tremendous expertise in this particular field, and they seem to have significant incentive to identify the failings
of the institution. Unlike legal compliance, performing a "best effort" apparently falls short of PCI requirements.

 Completely internalizing compliance seems to be an intractable issue because PCI requirements are broad and demanding,
while higher education networks are dispersed and frequently changing. It seems rather likely that an institution would
miss more than obscure technicalities and, particularly in relief to an actual breach, would miss issues that
retrospectively seem onerous and indefensible.

Brian Basgen
Information Security
Pima Community College