Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Discontinuing student email service - back to the original question

From: Anna Kircher <Anna.Kircher () HUMBOLDT EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:11:58 -0800

We have a campus policy that declares email as an official form of communication with students, that their humboldt.edu
account is their official email address for university communications, and requires them to monitor their HSU email
account in order to receive critical information from the institution.  While we do allow students to forward their
email, the policy specifies that we are not responsible for what happens to email after it leaves our system, and they
are still responsible/accountable for reading it.

Students have a self-navigational tool for setting up forwarding to another account if they want; we aren't in the
middle of having to track that.

There's more than one technological strategy for achieving this functionality - but we maintain HSU provided email
accounts so that we (a) KNOW that every student has one; (b) can simplify the work of creating/maintaining/selecting
distribution lists for different communiques; (c) can verify that email was delivered to them and when; (d ) know that
original delivery isn't hampered by blacklisting or rate hampering by external providers; and (e ) can provide high
assurances regarding privacy for that original delivery.

What the students want to do with email after it arrives in their HSU inbox  is their business.  :-)

Anna

Anna Kircher
Chief Information Officer
Humboldt State University
One Harpst Street
Arcata, CA 95521
707-826-3815

---------------

On the heels of another student email outsourcing question...it has occurred to me that some of us may want to step
back and reflect on the following question:

Why do we still provide student email accounts?

We once provided labs full of typewriters and then computers. We used to provide our own dialup service. Once these
things were commoditized we were able to largely eliminate them. Do student email accounts fall into the same lifecycle
pattern?

Cheers,
Rand

--
Rand P. Hall * Director, Network Services
Merrimack College * SunGard Higher Education