Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Exposing security questions

From: Kevin Shalla <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:40:49 -0600

The problem with these questions is that they give the system
administrator of the given system the ability to compromise the
accounts on other systems where the same questions exist.  Whenever I
fill out these questions, I give random strings.  The only reasonable
alternative I know is to provide a recovery e-mail account, so when
the person forgets his password, he puts in his account ID and
presses the button "I forgot my e-mail", then the password is set to
a one-time password, and sent to that e-mail address.