Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI compliance on a university network

From: Matthew Wollenweber <mjw () CYBERWART COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 12:19:05 -0500

I agree with Scott. I was never the PCI consultant, but I've worked with
them as part of network security assessments. Scott's advice is sound. I'd
only caution to heed his comment that the auditor needs to be comfortable
with the segmentation (and I'll add overall security posture). Pushing
virtual segmentation and other weak security barriers is going to make many
auditors uncomfortable.

I'd recommend having your security team push for strong security measures or
hire a consultant. If you deploy a configuration for compliance that doesn't
meet the audit requirements no one will be happy. So it's probably easier to
push for a stronger solution or use a consultant who is familiar with
hitting the minimum requirements (and that you can blame if things go
wrong).