Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI compliance on a university network

From: Paul Kendall <PKendall () ACCUDATASYSTEMS COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 09:05:06 -0600

FWIW: Our advice to clients has been to use two machines. Virtual machines at the desktop do not provide sufficient
separation of the card and non-card functions.

On policies, we generally expect to see the following (at a minimum):
a.      Acceptable Use Policy
b.      Access Controls Policy
c.      Asset Classification policy
d.      Business Continuity Planning
e.      Computer and System Management
f.      Configuration and Hardening Standards
g.      Data Retention and Handling
h.      Disaster Recovery
i.      Firewall and Network Administration Policy
j.      HR Hiring Practices
k.      Legal contracts with third parties that handle credit card data
l.      Device Patching Policy
m.      Personnel Security
n.      Physical Security
o.      Security Training
p.      System Development and Maintenance
q.      Wireless Policy
r.      Incident Response

Be sure that the policy statements, where appropriate, specifically call out protection of cardholder data. In many
instances, PCI standards require that cardholder data measurements be called out in the documents, as opposed to a
standardized statement.

Paul
Paul L. Kendall, PhD, CGEIT, CISM, CISSP, CSSLP
PCI Qualified Security Assessor
Chemical-terrorism Vulnerability Information (CVI) Authorized User
Senior Security Consultant
Accudata Systems, Inc.
15305 Dallas Parkway, Suite 300
Dallas, TX 75001