Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IDS/IPS Solutions

From: "Foerst, Daniel P." <FOERST () CUA EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:03:05 -0500

While I have not personally used Cisco MARS, we did look at a
presentation of the product and  it certainly appears to be impressive,
but it is not cheap - like many Cisco solutions. Additionally one of my
former colleagues who left in the last year uses Cisco MARS on a daily
basis for his job. Having four years working with us he certainly knows
what we perceive to be a nice product, and his recommendation to us was
to stay away from the MARS as it is cumbersome, not overly intuitive and
can be downright frustrating.

While this is just his opinion, I value it highly and have kept it in
mind when learning more about MARS and asking questions. Perhaps many of
his issues were resolved in a new code update. I don't know. He is also
eagerly await their new solution (whatever it may be) that will be
replacing MARS.

This is sad as we try to maintain a homogenous environment here with
Cisco for the most part, but we do use other solutions, e.g.
TippingPoint for our IPS. We are looking/feeling out a Cisco IDS/IPS
solution, so I am greatly interested in others opinions of Cisco's IDSM2
as well. Cisco markets that TippingPoint has issues, TippingPoint states
the opposite, so it can all be very frustrating to find both an ideal
and working solution to fit the budget and environment.

Daniel Foerst

Manager, Networks & Security

The Catholic University of America

Washington, DC 20064