Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Internet Explorer Vulnerability

From: "Flynn, Gerald" <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 18:19:04 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU] On Behalf Of Hudson, Edward
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2009 1:58 PM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: [SECURITY] Internet Explorer Vulnerability

Has anyone run into any issues rolling in the MS Patch regarding this
IE bug?

Not yet.

Two good early warning systems:

-Your students (assuming they get the updates directly from Microsoft and
 heed automatic updates)

-The Microsoft usenet groups, particularly Microsoft.public.windowsupdate@
 msnews.microsoft.com. It is probably readable through google groups too.
 If there is a common problem, you'll see a lot of common threads. In five
 years of patching with WSUS the two patches causing problems in our
 environment were flagged here first within three days.

Also curious as to the expediency of implementation given that
it is nearing holiday break, finals weeks etc. TIA
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS09-072.mspx

Microsoft says exploit code is likely within 30 days and that the
exploit code is apt to be reliable. When a vendor tells me that,
I tend to take it seriously. The only saving grace is that they
appear not to be simple stack overflows which seem to tend to allow
reliable exploit code to be generated in days.

There is already unreliable exploit code out there for one of
the defects disclosed before the patch was released.

http://blogs.technet.com/srd/archive/2009/12/08/assessing-the-risk-of-the-december-security-bulletins.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms09-dec.mspx