Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Local Admin Accounts

From: Kevin Shalla <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 08:40:37 -0500

What are the mechanics of using the encrypted flash drive to log on
as administrator?

At 03:01 PM 10/7/2009, Sarazen, Daniel wrote:
I have one department with about 100+ desktops. What the Admin has done
with the desktop admin password, is to place it on an encrypted flash
drive, which is stored in his safe. When the work-study student needs to
service desktops, they are issued the flash drive and they return it
when they are done.

Does anyone see a problem with this?

Thanks

:: Daniel Sarazen, Senior Information Technology Auditor
:: University Internal Audit
:: University of Massachusetts President's Office
:: 774-455-7558
:: 781-724-3377 Cell
:: 774-455-7550 Fax
:: Dsarazen () umassp edu

University of Massachusetts : 333 South St. : Suite 450 : Shrewsbury, MA
01545 : www.massachusetts.edu