Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PIX/AS Vs. Linux/IPtables

From: Josh Richard <jrichar4 () D UMN EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 11:08:29 -0500

On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 11:07 -0400, Kevin Wilcox wrote:
2009/10/1 Josh Richard <jrichar4 () d umn edu>:

I'm curious as to whether you can disclose the possible
issues you foresaw?

Thanks!

kmw, who is highly reliant on OpenBSD + pf and FreeBSD *particularly*
because of the greater freedoms provided by the BSD license

Hi Kevin,

I should have been more clear on the reservation.  Given the choice
between GPL and BSD licensing after much internal debate, where possible
we opt for GPL.  The analysis of the BSD argument being more free since
it only requires acknowledgment to the original authors I believe is
valid.  Saying that, there is opportunity to introduce a proprietary
branch at a later time.  Doing so is a freedom, therefore BSD is more
free as it is less restrictive.  Where possible we accept the position
of the GPL as an internal direction for tools and systems we construct
to support networking process.  Obviously, this is not possible 100% of
the time across all all projects, hardware etc but that is the direction
the in house ship tracks.

The remaining reservation for pfsense was that it required ramp up and
unnecessary features.  We already had ample staff on hand who understood
the component parts.  I am not knocking pfsense or monowall  (or BSDs),
I think the projects are great.  If they were GPL, we still would
probably not use them given the latter reservation.  Just did not bubble
up through the design.

I don't want to speak for you, did I capture your greater freedoms?

Thank you,

Josh