Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Removal of Admin Access on PCs

From: "James R. Pardonek" <pardonjr () CALUMET PURDUE EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 11:47:24 -0500

If this has been discussed before, I apologize.

We have been instructed by our internal auditors to remove administrator
rights from all PCs on campus.  We have chosen a product, Desktop
Authority, to do this.  The discussion we had was regarding the
potential push back from faculty if the "approved" list of applications
does not align with what an individual faculty member needs to teach or
do research.

I would like some feedback on what others have done to comply with the
auditors, yet keep peace with their faculty.

Thank you!

James R. Pardonek, CISSP

Senior Network Administrator

Purdue University Calumet Data Network