Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Removing Sensitive Data from Paper Documents

From: "Walters, Caroline (cw8de)" <cw8de () ESERVICES VIRGINIA EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:59:04 -0400

Very true - I have also heard folks say that if you continue to photocopy a document with something redacted that
eventually (I think it takes at least 20 rounds of copying the previous copy) you can read the redacted area as the
blackout becomes lighter.

Caroline J. Walters, MA, MLS
University Records Officer/Records Management
Information Security, Policy, and Records Office (ISPRO)
Office of the Vice President/CIO
University of Virginia, 2400 Old Ivy Rd.
Box 400898, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4898
Phone: (434) 243-9162
Fax: (434) 243-9197
Email: cjwalters () virginia edu