Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Vulnerability Assessment tools

From: Dick Jacobson <Dick.Jacobson () NDUS EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 08:39:34 -0500

I have been asked by my CIO to again look at Vulnerabiltity Assessment
tools for our state Higher Ed network and institutions.  We did contract
with a consultant a while back for pen testing and this was one of their
recommendations for each of our institutions.  I remember seeing
discussion on this a few years ago but the landscape, I'm sure, has
changed.  My timeline is pretty condensed so I am asking for your help.

I am looking for suggestions of tools that you might use or have
looked at as well as tools you are aware of.

We have 11 institutions geographically dispersed and "administered".
However, at this point, nothing is off the table.  Our solution may be
appliance based or software or a hosted solution or a mix of these.

Some of our institutions have adequate staff.  Others have one or two
people who don't have a lot of extra time to add this to their duties.

I am interested in a tool (or multiple ?) that will handle web assessment
as well as server/endpoint assessment; and database assement would be a
bonus.

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

    Dick Jacobson               e-mail : Dick.Jacobson () ndus edu
    NDUS IT Security Officer    office : STTC 219
                phone  : 701-231-6280 <NEW phone number>