Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SECURITY Digest - 15 Oct 2009 to 16 Oct 2009 (#2009-236)

From: Kevin Shalla <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 10:56:00 -0500

That sounds really handy, but  I'd be afraid that the system
administrator at that web site would have back-door access to all
your passwords.

At 06:15 PM 10/17/2009, Gary Dobbins wrote:
Has anyone else tried lastpass (.com)?  I've found it to be an
option for handling these problems.  It will randomly generate
passwords, remember them all, one for each place you visit, and
(presuming their answers to how they handle the data are true) the
storehouse of your passwords never leaves your computer unencrypted
by a master password only you know.

I'd be interested to hear if others find this valid, or if the
service has a serious Achilles Heel.

Illustrated, Tripit, and I