Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Potential Security Risks in OpenSource LMS environments

From: John Ellingsworth <john () ELLINGSWORTH ORG>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 18:59:58 -0400

 "slow to patch" is pure FUD.

A search for 'bug tracker' on each FOSS app you list show the
following first hit for each:

FOSS:
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa
http://www.atutor.ca/development/bugs/

Blackboard, nothing helpful:
http://www.google.com/search?q=blackboard+bug+tracker

This one:
http://www.google.com/search?q=blackboard+vulnerability

Shows numerous postings from an individual trying to determine how &
where to report a vulnerability and not finding an answer.

While the above would not be the only determinant in assessing the
feasibility of any one product, I would consider the openness of bug &
security vulnerabilities as crucial to determining risk factor.

Look at the release cycle for each; look at the roadmap for each; look
at the issue reporting structure for each.   Do they align with
publicly accessible information?  IS the information available?

Check the vulnerability databases:
http://secunia.com/advisories/product/

Therein will you find the risk factors, not in FUD.

Due diligence can and will be a slow process - especially when
information is not readily available.  Vendor PR is no substitute for
the facts.

Regards,

John Ellingsworth