Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mixing Infrastructure and Research Systems in VMware ESX

From: David Auclair <d.auclair () UTORONTO CA>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 10:27:50 -0400

There have been some vulnerabilities (which were *very* promptly patched by vmware):
http://www.securityvibes.com/cloudburst-a-weaponsied-attack-on-the-cloud-benchai7-news-3003225.html

Even though that specific vulnerability was patched, it's still likely that there may be other vulnerabilities lurking.
 I'd recommend keeping critical infrastructure and research systems in separate pools.

The other issue (which you mentioned) is fair resource allocation.  You need to prevent users from DoSing your critical
systems by means of resource exhaustion.

Regards,
David Auclair
Computer Security Administration
Computing and Networking Services