Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

E-mail and Data Privacy Issues around Law School and Professional Clinics

From: "Gregg, Christopher S." <csgregg () STTHOMAS EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:26:00 -0500

I apologize if this has been covered, but I didn't see anything in the archives.

Have any of you run into the issue of trying to provide additional levels of data privacy, or running a separate e-mail
service for professional clinics, law schools, or similar entities at your institutions?

We're a centralized Exchange shop for the entire university for e-mail and we're being asked about providing separate
e-mail for our professional clinics and law school as a means of segregating the data from e-discovery and being able
to enforce a different (read that higher) level of data privacy.  The concerns stem from issues of faculty and at times
law students working as attorney's using university systems for communications and the need to maintain attorney/client
privacy.

The scenarios we're coming up with are not very attractive, and I am curious to hear if others have already tackled
this or opted to address this in other ways (like living with the risk).

Our scenarios so far are:

1.       Outsource this e-mail another provider - lose control to a degree and cannot retain school domain name

2.       Setup a second non-Exchange system (iMail or something like that) - separate system to manage and not hooked
into automated account process

3.       Run a separate Exchange environment - costly, overkill, and may not even be possible in our architecture (at
least with our school domain name)

I am also curious if we fall in a unique niche of having a law school and professional clinic, but being small enough
that we have a single centralized e-mail and account infrastructure.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you're willing to share,

Chris

Chris Gregg
Director of Information Technology
Information Resources and Technologies