Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Routing to .EDU/.ORG TLD nameservers

From: Andrew Daviel <advax () TRIUMF CA>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 17:54:50 -0700

We had a network glitch recently that took out one of our upstream routes
- we lost connection to the commercial Internet but still had connection
to the research networks (Internet2/CA*NET/GEANT/JANET etc.)

We had some DNS issues and while trying to understand them I noticed
that, although about half of the root nameservers appear to be routed
(for us) via the research networks, none of the .EDU or .ORG servers are.
This meant we could not resolve names for some places that we could still
reach.

I thought this odd - I would have expected half or more of the .EDU
servers to be on Internet2.

Is this just a peculiarity of our local routing, or is it a real issue
that might bite someone else ?

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)