Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Issues with Symantec Version 11

From: "Fowler, Steve" <steve.fowler () OREGONSTATE EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:20:53 -0700

Brenda,

We've been running SEP since it was in beta more than two years ago on Dell and other hardware brands but have seen the
problems you describe on very rare occasions.  What happens if you reboot the system that has the pending system change
error?  Normally that should clear the registry key and allow SEP to install.  If not you might want to refocus your
investigation and try to find out what is causing the pending system changes as this isn't a normal situation.  As I
understand it the SEP installer is detecting the condition as a safeguard against causing potential problems if it
installs while the system is in a state of change.

I agree that asking users to make registry changes isn't the best approach, but you could consider using a script to
make the change if necessary once you find the underlying cause of the problem.

Regards,
Steve Fowler
Systems Manager
Technology Support Services