Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outbound email privacy filtering

From: Zach Jansen <zjanse20 () CALVIN EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 16:52:47 -0400

I tested those filters when we got our outbound spam filter, also a Barracuda. I have found them to be pretty helpful
in catching accidental leakages and am happy to have them as another layer. Privacy related filters are pretty noisy
and generate a lot of quarantine emails or falsely rejected messages, so if you don't ultimately care about the
criteria in a particular filter, I'd recommend just not turning them on.

Feel free to email me off list if you have more questions.

Zach

--

Zach Jansen
Information Security Officer

On 7/1/2009 at 8:53 AM, in message
<57DB382E7C4E8E4B84BB4A730F9068CF032ADF99 () MAIL1 sbu edu>, "Kellogg, Brian D."
<bkellogg () SBU EDU> wrote:
Wondering what others are doing for outbound email privacy filtering and how
effective it has been?  We have the capability now to filter on CCard, SSN,
and some other privacy info with a Barracuda we purchased for outbound email
filtering.

Thank you,

Brian Kellogg

Network Services Manager