Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: McAfee AV software bundled with Jave updates

From: Dexter Caldwell <Dexter.Caldwell () FURMAN EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 16:32:16 -0400

I had similar reports from the person who handles imaging here, so I just
called Mcafee and the support rep said he'd never heard of this and that
McAfee would not compromise their reputation this way.  He asked me for
screen shots or a way to replicate the problem.  I wasn't able to
replicate on the fly or with a manual download so it's possible there's a
piece of malware in the wild or perhaps it's a random offering or
something like that.  I can confirm we've had similar reports if that
helps.  Just heard of it fairly recently though.

Dexter Caldwell
Furman University
The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
<SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU> writes:
I just dealt with this on a staff members computer yesterday.  We try to
encourage people to keep things up to date but I'm considering changing
my stance on Java.  They have historically included OpenOffice.org or a
Yahoo or Google toolbar which also defaulted to being checked.  This is
even worse though and will cause our helpdesk a fair amount of pain.

It doesn't really surprise me that they did it but it certainly does
disappoint me in both Sun and McAfee.

-------------Baylor University-------------
Derek Tonkin
Information Security Analyst
Information Technology Services - Security
derek_tonkin () baylor edu        254-710-7061