Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

spoofed reply-to address

From: Barbara Deschapelles <deschapellesb () CLARKSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 09:33:03 -0400

Hello all,
I've been reading through the archives of this list and am curious if anyone has found a cure.  There are a few threads
from a while back, but no one has offered any cure except for filtering all bounced messages to a folder. One of our
deans is getting boat loads of bounced messages. It appears that some spammer is using her email address as the
reply-to or from address. The original messages appear to come from a myriad of different systems, so I'm speculating
that the spam was generated by a bot system of sorts.

Thanks,

Barb Deschapelles
Executive Director Information Technology
Clark State Community College
570 East Leffel Lane
PO Box 570
Springfield, OH 45501-0570
Phone: 937 328-6144

"Liberty without learning is always in peril; learning without liberty is always in vain. "
--John F. Kennedy