Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Replacing Bluesocket with Cisco NAC (formerly known as Clean Access)

From: Kevin Fitzgerald <kwfitzgerald () UALR EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 09:10:32 -0500

Hello all,

We are currently in the process of replacing our Bluesocket Secured
Controller appliances with Cisco's NAC.  The Bluesockets are only used for
LDAP auth (user login).   In our environment we will be doing wireless and
wired out-of-band (OOB) in virtual gateway mode, and our NAC is centrally
deployed.  Our wireless access points operate in lightweight mode using
Cisco Wireless Lan Controllers.   All of our WAPS are Cisco 1231 (LWAPP)
running off of Cisco WLCs.

We are moving to a Cisco end-to-end solution composed of the NAC, WLCs, and
WAPs.

I'd love to hear from some folks who have already gone down this road.  The
documentation that I've read often refers to RADIUS accounting records.  Has
anyone implemented a wireless OOB solution with LDAP?

Kindest regards,
K. Fitzgerald
Computing Services Networks
University of Arkansas at Little Rock