Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Cisco ASA Firewall Inspect Commands

From: Dennis Bohn <BOHN () ADELPHI EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:19:40 -0400

Hello,
We are upgrading our firewalls from PIX  to ASA (8.2 code).  Has anyone left the default 'inspect' commands in place?
We are particularly concerned around 'inspect esmtp' and 'inspect dns.'  The old fixup smtp did not work for us, we are
wondering how the inspect esmtp command works (or not).   Did anyone try it and lose email?

Though the HTTP inspect is not default, I am wondering if anyone has found it useful.  Are the regular expressions
being used to block certain URLs?

Also welcome hearing about any issues with the ASA 8.x code train.

TIA,
dennis

Dennis Bohn
network manager